A Beacon of Light Leading You Back
In collaboration with the Saint Agatha Foundation,
the Watertown Family YMCA will be a beacon of light
and support leading breast cancer survivors
down the road to recovery.
• Recovering from Breast Cancer.
• Strong personal desire to participate.
• Inform your physician that you plan to join the YMCA.
• Screening form and health questionnaire.
• Permission for YMCA Project Manager to contact your healthcare provider if necessary.
Your Program Goals
• Improve energy.
• Rebuild muscle mass and strength.
• Increase flexibility and endurance.
• Improve functional ability to do everyday tasks.
• Reduce the severity of therapy side effects and prevent weight gain.
• Develop an ongoing physical fitness program.
• Learn to live a healthy lifestyle not only as part of recovery but as a way of life.
• Enjoy a safe space to heal your mind, body & soul.
The Family’s Journey
Recognizing the importance of having your family participate in your journey back, Laurie’s Light is designed to be an expansion of LIVESTRONG at the YMCA and the Cancer Support Group and will encompass your family members as well.
The family benefit of Laurie’s Light includes membership along with a variety of programs including swim lessons, gymnastics and youth sports programming, art programming, breast health navigator, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, Child Watch, North Country Cancer Support group, gentle yoga classes, and support from peer to peer.
In addition to physical benefits, this program also focuses on the emotional well-being of you AND your family.
Your Path Includes
FREE Family 1-year Membership to the Watertown YMCA
Membership entitles you and your family to use of the facility and programs and access to all four Watertown Family YMCA locations including Fairgrounds, Downtown, Sackets Harbor, and Carthage.
LiveStrong® at the YMCA
This 12-week exercise and group support program focuses on improving the survivor's strength, fitness, and quality of life. In addition to physical benefits, the program also focuses on the emotional well-being of survivors and their families.
Learn more about LiveStrong® here.
North Country Cancer Support Group
If you have been diagnosed with breast cancer, you may want to connect with others who understand how you feel, share stories, ask questions, and feel supported.
Access to a variety of Y Programs
Your family membership will allow you access to multiple programs including health & wellness, group exercise, swimming classes, yoga, and a variety of sports programming.
The Watertown Family YMCA understands
that long after treatment ends, you and your
family may continue to feel the
effects of a breast cancer diagnosis.